Image Slider By The slide is a linking image Pure Javascript. No jQuery. No flash. #htmlcaption

Tuesday, November 25, 2014

The birth of my premie

When I found out I was pregnant, I was ecstatic! My husband and I had only been trying for 2 months so I was surprised we were blessed so fast. Everything was checking out great at appointments until around 20 weeks when they had to give me blood pressure medicine to keep it under control. We had also found out we were going to be blsessed with a little girl. bows and dresses had me giddy!
All was fine until my 28 week checkup. My doctor told me he wanted to admit me for observation for the night to see if my blood pressure would stay down with bed rest and also run some further tests. After a night's stay, he decided I needed to go on bed rest and come back in for a NST (non-stress test) and steroids on Monday. I went in Monday-Wednesday for steroid shots and NSTs and I ended up gaining 10 pounds in 2 days because I had started retaining fluid. Thursday was Thanksgiving and I remember being so tired and sleeping the day away on the sofa. Friday came and when I went in for my stress test, my blood pressure wouldn't stay down. My doctor came into the room and told me that he was sending me to Greenville where I would probably have Trinity within a few days. I was in shock!

Everything after this seemed to happen so fast. We drove to Greenville where I was admitted. I was taken off my meds and they said that they were going to monitor me and once I started having high blood pressure readings, they would induce me. They put me on magnesium so I would not have seizures because of my blood pressure and that was some rough stuff!! I literally felt like I was in a sauna! I believe I froze my husband in the hospital room. LOL Sunday morning the group of doctors came in and said that they would go ahead and induce labor because my blood pressure through the night had started elevating. I was 29 weeks 6 days pregnant and terrified.
I was given a catheter,  IV, hooked up to a monitor and my labor was induced. It wasn't long after I was set up that the nurses were going back and forth checking on Trinity. Soon they decided to move me to a labor and devlivery room so they could keep a closer eye on me. I remember getting settled in the room while RJ and his mom went down to get our bags. Well, around this time all these doctors started coming in explaining to me that they were going to have to do an emergency c-section because my baby was in distress. As they were wheeling me down to the OR, RJ and his mom were walking back and I lost it. I just couldn't get over what was happening. Being a first time mom, I never thought this would happen!

I was brought into the OR and had to sit up on the operating table so they could give me a spinal tap. I remember shaking so bad and the nurse telling me that I needed to be really still. The doctor was having a hard time getting the spinal tap in because my spine was curved. I finally was numb and soon after remember asking what they were doing when the anesthesiologist told me that they were about to deliver her. Next thing I knew, RJ was next to me and Trinity was born. Our precious little girl came into the world at 3:26pm weighing 3lbs. 0.6ozs. with blue eyes and red hair.

(picture is blurry because it is off of camcorder)

(first time I got to see her after recovery...she was 3 days old)

(first time I got to hold her...1.5 week old)

(First Christmas)

(Daddy feeding her a bottle)

Life in the NICU was a whirlwind with brain bleeds, eye issues, a heart murmur, central lines being pulled out and infections from ivs. My sweetpea had many ups and downs but with the care of some awesome doctors and nurses, Trinity is now one healthy growing girl! God is so good!

(This morning with her birthday muffins and cookies we made for school)

So, happy 7th birthday Trinity Nevaeh Carter. You are one strong, beautiful little girl who I love SO very much. I am proud to call you my daughter!

No comments:

Post a Comment